Nothing satisfies your sweet tooth quite like fudgey, indulgent brownies, and with these vegan date brownies are the perfect guilt free way to give into your cravings. It’s actually very important to indulge in healthy, homemade vegan sweet things as it prevents you from reaching for something processed and laden with artificial sweeteners and coloring. Dates are considered natures candy for a reason and that is why brownies with dates instead of sugar is just as good (if not better) than your average ole brownie.
Unsweetened, dark chocolate is high in antioxidants and an important ingredient in this recipe. It falls under both the “superfoods” and “good mood foods” categories as it increases serotonin levels in the brain.
Brownies With Dates Instead of Sugar Recipe
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour the hot water over the dates in a bowl and let them sit for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, drain the water from the dates and place them in the bowl of a food processor or in a blender. Next, process the dates until they are smooth, remembering to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the almond flour, cocoa powder, honey, vanilla and sea salt to the food processor or blender. Process again until nice and smooth.
- Spread the mixture into an 8×8-inch pan, greased with coconut oil.
- Bake for 20 minutes, and allow to cool before cutting.
- Cut the delicious brownies into 16 square pieces.