Are you ready for the easiest, most delicious (not to mention cheapest) coconut milk recipe ever? Well then read on because you’re about to learn how to make coconut milk from desiccated coconut for a sweet and delightful drink. This recipe is perfect when you are craving a cold glass of coconut goodness; it really is so simple to whip up and enjoy.
FUN COCONUT FACT TIME! All though classed as a fruit and frequently confused for being a nut, the coconut is actually a one-seeded Drupe.
How To Make Coconut Milk from Desiccated Coconut
- 8 Ounces of desiccated coconut (shredded coconut)
- 3 1/2 Cups of water
- Add the desiccated coconut and water to a medium sized pot. Mix well and allow to soak for about half an hour.
- Turn heat onto low and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Cover and continue to simmer for 1o minutes.
- Turn off heat and leave mixture to sit for a further half an hour.
- Transfer the coconut mixture to a blender (or food processor) and blend for 45 seconds.
- Place a large sieve over a bowl and empty coconut mixture into it.
- Store in the fridge for up to 2 days. It’s important to note that separation will occur but this is totally natural and is just the fat rising to the top.
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial on how to make coconut milk from desiccated coconut. This homemade coconut milk is perfect on your favourite cereal, on it’s own as a refreshing beverage or in baking and cooking. It really is a nutritious and versatile milk alternative.
FUN COCONUT FACT TIME! In Sanskrit, the coconut palm is known as kalpa vriksha – ‘tree which gives all that is necessary for living’