These crispy vegan hash brown patties are the ultimate comfort food and ideal brunch meal. The best thing about these awesome potato treats is that they only contain 7 ingredients and are perfect for the lazy chef. I like my hash brown patties to be crispy and crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside. Serve with scrambled tofu and your favourite dipping sauce for an epic brunch experience.
When it comes to grating the potatoes for these vegan hash brown patties, you can use the grater attachment on your food processor. If you want your patties to be more on the sweet than the savoury side, you could always replcae the russet potatoes with sweet potatoes.
Vegan Hash Brown Patties Recipe
- 4 cups loosely packed finely grated russet potatoes (~ about 3 potatoes)
- 1 shallot,thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup corn
- 2 Tbsp melted vegan butter (or sub coconut oil), plus more for cooking
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot starch
- 1/2 tsp each sea salt and black pepper, plus more to taste
- First off, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C) and arrange a rack in the center of your oven.
- While the oven is preheating, generously grease a muffin tin with oil of choice.
- Next, add the finely grated potatoes to a large mixing bowl with shallot, parsley, corn, melted vegan butter, cornstarch, salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Divide the mixture evenly between 12 muffin tins. Fill each tin with about 1/4 cup of the potato mixture. Be sure to press down gently to form the patties.
- Pop in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- When the 20 minutes are up, increase oven temperature to 425 degrees F (218 C) and bake for a further 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes, then using a butter knife loosen the sides and carefully lift out with a fork.
- If you wish to freeze your vegan hash brown patties, arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze until firm. Then simply store in a freezer-safe container up to 3-4 weeks. Reheat in the microwave, or a 350 degree F (176 C) oven until completely warmed through.