If you are looking for a super satisfying and filling lunch that is gluten free and low calorie, then this Vegan Chickpea Flour Quiche Recipe is perfect for you. Not only is this delightful dish easy and cheap to make, it is also packed full of protein. And of course, most importantly it is absolutely delicious. The filling is creamy and custardy just like a traditional quiche while the outside edges are the perfect amount of crispiness.
Before we get into this wonderful recipe, lets talk a little bit about the key ingredient: chickpea flour. Chickpea flour is also known as garbanzo bean flour, besan, cici flour and gram flour. It’s an extremely versatile flour that is used in cuisines all over the world, including India, Pakistan,Myanmar (Burma), France, Spain, Italy, Morocco, and throughout the Middle East. Wether you are looking to bake sweet and creamy desserts or savoury and crispy main dishes, chickpea flour can cater to your needs.
These little quiches are perfect for power snacking on the go or healthy lunchbox fillers.
Vegan Chickpea Flour Quiche Recipe
- Essential Batter:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-1/2 cups (300 grams) chickpea flour
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups chopped lightly cooked vegetables OR finely chopped /shredded raw vegetables
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Herbs (fresh or dried) and spices of choice
- Preheat the oven to 260°C. Grease the cups of a 12-count standard muffin tin with oil.
- Whisk the flour, water, 3 tablespoons oil, salt and pepper in a big bowl until it is well blended and smooth.
- Next, stir in the vegetables and garlic.
- Now, divide the batter evenly among the prepared cups.
- Put in the oven and allow to bake for 12 minutes.
- Make sure to crack open the oven door just enough to release steam. Close the door and bake for 10 to 15 minutes more, until your quiches are a nice golden brown colour.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack and allow to cool for 15 minutes.